Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Adventure

Adventure, adventure, adventure! Sometimes my heart seems to scream for adventure. I get this intense desire to drop everything and just go on some quest of sorts.

So this means I'm ready to climb the highest mountain peaks, scope the deep blue sea, and save the world, right?

No...

My kind of adventure is following a cat around a neighborhood. Handing out fortune cookies to people on the city streets. Longboarding through the park at night. Hiking a mountain at night to see all the lights coming from houses and cars. Journeying through an over-sized furniture store and pretending the floor is covered in hot lava. Ding-dong ditching my neighbors and leaving actual Hostess Ding-Dongs at their doorstep. Going to Barnes and Nobel and reliving my childhood by reading all my old favorite picture books. Going to a park with a tire swing to have a jolly good time! People watching at the mall. Volunteering with something cool! Going fishing because I've never been, and I want to see for myself whether it is boring or not! Looking up at the stars and pretending I'm an astronomer. Jumping a fence!

Pretty dang exciting, eh?

My point is, sometimes I feel like there are so many things that I want to do, but I don't have the time to do it all. Mostly because I'm in school, or working. Or, I don't have anyone to do these things with, because they are in school or working. I keep hoping and waiting for adventures. I keep longing for the fun times. The good life.

But, wait a second! Isn't my life fun? Aren't I living the good life? Isn't my life an adventure?

Lately, I have been thinking about how fragile life is. I've been thinking about how we tend to take so many things for granted; so many people for granted. I've been thinking about how life is too short for...such and such. I've been thinking a lot about everything that has happened in my life.

Well, I have something to say...

My life is good, real good.

I have adventures everyday, right?

What about how I wake up early enough to see the sunrise each morning? What about how I get to walk about in downtown Phoenix nearly everyday? What about how I am learning to be a nurse every day I go to school? What about how I get to watch Spongebob at work? What about all those fun church activities I somehow have time for? What about the moments I get to have a conversation with a dear friend? What about all the times that I finally arrive at a destination, but have difficulty parking? What about the times I laugh with my brothers about something no one else would fully understand? What about all the crazy things that take place in the Montez home? What about the opportunities I have to serve others? What about the times my patients thank me, tell me about their lives, or reach for my hand? What about when I witness tender mercies in my life, and feel answers to my prayers?

These are all adventures! My whole life is an adventure.

Sometimes we just need the eyes to see beyond the mountains that stand in our way and make us feel small. However, these mountains are necessary, and a part of the adventure. Our adventure is to continue traveling upwards in the journey and enjoy each minute of it. Even the smallest events in life add to our adventure, and I wouldn't want to miss any part of it.

So, my list of adventures still awaits. But in the meantime, I'm pretty grateful for the unplanned adventures that take place in my life everyday. Each event in my life has an adventurous story in my book. I'm grateful for all the memories, and am determined to make more :) "Adventure is out there".







No comments:

Post a Comment